Nathalie Boutet speaks to CFRA Radio on April 27th, 2015, to discuss the potential pitfalls of buying a house with a spouse without first consulting with a family law lawyer.
Things to watch for, says Boutet, include:
- How much is each contributing towards the down payment?
- Will the title reflect the percentage of contribution towards the down payment?
- Who will pay the expenses of the family and the house, and will that have an impact on the ownership of the house?
- What is the difference in taking the house as “joint tenant” vs “tenant in common”
- Why concluding the purchase with a real estate lawyer is not sufficient and the benefits of working with a family lawyer for this type of transaction
Boutet offers the highest quality of family law services while offering practical tips to benefit her clients while keeping matters cordial between spouses.